Sunday, May 4, 2014

Pioneer Woman Blog Photo Contest

I am going to enter this contest. I thought about doing this today, but I am not feeling my best, so I think I will do it another day. I bought a plate to use in my picture, and I have already planned out what I want the picture to look like.

The contest is simple. Make Ree Drummond's, aka The Pioneer Woman, Pasta Primavera recipe, take a picture and upload it. On the contest site, she also offers really good photography tips that contestants are encouraged to use.

When I started my food blog, I thought it would be all about the writing for me. I loved writing columns when I worked as a newspaper reporter and what is a blog but an electronic column? And I really enjoy cooking and trying new restaurants, so I thought a food blog would be perfect. I knew I would be taking pictures, but I didn't realize how much I would enjoy that part of it. I love styling the food and trying different angles to get just the right shot. John is even into it, and I've already used one of his pictures on the blog (the veggies picture in the Stir-fry post).

I think that so far, I'm doing a pretty good job illustrating my blog. I am not fishing for a compliment, and I have no idea whether my pictures are technically good or even if anyone likes them. But this is a rare thing for me -- what I am doing with my blog makes me happy and that's enough. There is no pressure to please an editor or an audience. I mean, I really hope people like reading my blog. And I hope I get a huge following. But if I don't, I'm ok with that. I can't paint or sew or do anything very artistic in that sense. But I can write and take pictures. It's an incredible feeling when you know what you are writing connects with readers. I loved hearing reactions to columns I wrote for the newspaper. But this is more me, and as my own editor, I think I am doing a good job doing what I set out to do.

So if you like cooking and taking pictures, check out this contest. You could win a really good camera. And please feel free to share your feedback on my blog posts and...keep reading! Thanks :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment