Monday, April 28, 2014

Stir-fry: a working parent's best friend

Sometimes we just don't have a lot of time to cook. We had one of those days recently. Jeff was working a bit later than usual and John had to be at the school by 6:30 to help out in the concession stand.
I knew we were having stir-fry, so I wasn't worried. Stir-fry is so versatile -- you can use chicken, beef, pork or seafood. You could even make an all-veggie version (but why would you?).

I used "a working parent's best friend" in the title instead of "a working Mom's best friend" because in this house, Jeffrey is always the stir-fry cook. Except for the other night. I had bought beef already cut into strips, an absolute time saver, thank you very much grocery store butcher. I got the rice going and turned my attention to the veggies.
It was very simple. I had a red bell pepper, an orange bell pepper and half an onion. I cut the peppers into strips and the onion into chunks. Just some salt and pepper for the beef, a little canola oil in a pre-heated electric wok and I was ready to cook. John wanted to help, so he took some of the pictures and then he added the soy sauce when everything was almost finished. All told, it took 26 minutes from start to finish.

I am trying to eat better, to use more fresh and fewer processed ingredients. I am trying to replace not-so-good-for-you foods with healthier choices. Instead of chips with sandwiches, we might have fruit or baked crackers and hummus, for example. This week I've been having yogurt with homemade granola (yep - I'll be writing about that soon too) for breakfast. So this meal is a no brainer.
It's fast, it's tasty and it is so easy to fill it with vegetables. I would have put broccoli or snow peas or something green in it too, but I didn't have time to stop at the store. I love pineapples in stir-fry too, but sadly, we didn't have any of those either. It's been a pretty busy week, so a full trip to the grocery store has just not happened. Instead, it's been one of those weeks when I stop and get a few things here and there.

So working parents and everyone who is busy -- if stir-fry is not already one of you go-to meals, I highly recommend making it. John loved it, and we made up a plate for Jeffrey to have when he got home. A few minutes to relax, and then we were out the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment