Sunday, April 12, 2015

A quick trick to peeling hard boiled eggs, or not

I saw a video on Facebook the other day about a super easy way to peel hard boiled eggs. You put the egg in a small glass with some water, shake it around and voila! The peel comes off in one big piece and you are done.

Whew. What a relief. Because peeling a hard boiled egg is so difficult. You can't hear me saying that, but those of you who know me well enough can recognize my sarcasm even in print.

I found myself curious about this though, so naturally I Googled it. Side note - I am fascinated how quickly slang becomes real language, like using Google as a verb. I Googled "tricks to peeling a hard boiled egg" and in approximately .44 seconds there were approximately 40,500 hits. By about page 5 or so, I'm sure the results will be less relevant. But there is a surprising amount of time dedicated to something that seems so simple to me. And there are the videos. Plural.

I guess people with a physical disability or severe arthritis would really appreciate suggestions for other ways to do things many of us are blessed to consider the simplest of tasks. But why would anyone else put whole fresh eggs into a tennis ball to shake them around and scramble the egg inside the shell? Is cracking it open into a bowl and whisking really so much effort that we need a quick trick to get it done?

Scrambled eggs was the first dish I made on my own. I think I was 10. I grew up Catholic, and we had tuna sandwiches and hard boiled eggs fairly often on Fridays. I've peeled a lot of hard boiled eggs in my life, so I'm pretty sure I've got this egg cooking and peeling thing down without the helpful You Tube videos.

The amount of internet space devoted to working with what has to be one of the easiest ingredients is shocking. And now I have added to it. Make that 40,501 hits. I hope my blog shows up sooner than page 5 of the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment