Monday, September 5, 2016

I just want some S and P

We Americans will accessorize anything. Need some new kitchen towels? There's probably a different color and theme for any possible decorating style you can imagine. The same goes for plates, and utensils.

And boy is it true for salt and pepper shakers. A friend of mine who is certified as a nutritionist made me switch to Pink Himalayan salt. I did, and I'm fine with that choice. Still tastes good, and if it will be better for me than regular salt, great. My only objection is that I use a grinder, and it's hot over a pot of boiling water! So I thought I would look for a salt box, and get some already ground pink salt that I can use for just such an occasion. Today, I was surfing through Wayfair, and decided to look there. Side note - this blog is not a criticism of Wayfair - I have found some really good deals there and this same phenomenon is probably universal. 

There were 1,125 hits for salt and pepper shaker. I looked, because I was curious. Of the 1,125 to choose from, 31 of them were in the 'greater than' $125 price category. Seriously? Who needs a Waterford crystal salt and pepper shaker set? 

We actually have a few sets ourselves. One set belonged to one of my Grandmothers, so while I have no idea if they're antique or valuable, I am glad to have them. And one set was a very cool gift from some friends. It is a house and the witch's legs from 'The Wizard of Oz.' That set is also sentimental, as our family worked on a local production of that show several years ago. 

After looking around Wayfair for a while, I got the idea for this blog, and now I will still have to do the 'ow, that's hot' dance when I salt boiling water to make pasta or rice.  

1 comment: