Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Hot Toddies are Medicinal

The most awesome husband ever is making Hot Toddies tonight. Yep. That's right. My husband loves me.

A Toddy in a Toad
He's not been feeling well lately. There is a crud going around here and it's one of those things that lasts for a long time. I am in a kind of crud limbo. I sort of have it, but not really. Hopefully this is the worst I'll have of it. Jeffrey's also been grousing about the cold temperatures (we moved South for a reason, you know). So it's time to warm up, Maker's Mark style.

I remember my Dad once making a different kind of Toddy for me when I was a child. I had a terrible cough. He made me hot tea with honey and a little rum. Supposedly it was to soothe my throat, but mostly I think that he was making sure we all got some sleep that night.

And then a few years ago, I had bronchitis. I have never felt worse in my life. A C-section didn't make me feel as bad as bronchitis. I was so uncomfortable, and I couldn't even lie down to get some rest. And there was my Jeffrey to the rescue, with a Hot Toddy to soothe my aching chest. He made me one every night until I was better. I could so get used to that.

Jeffrey's version uses bourbon, lemon juice and honey. He juices half a lemon for two toddies and uses "a good squeeze" of honey. He heats the bourbon and lemon juice in the microwave and then adds the honey when it's hot. Or, he mixes it all together in a pot and heats it on the stove.

I don't know if it will cure the crud, but I do know that I will sleep well tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment