Saturday, March 29, 2014

A Few of My Favorite Things

I am all for using a generic brand when it's as good as the name brand (this is especially true for over-the-counter medicines - the generics often have the same exact ingredients for half the price). For some products it doesn't really matter which brand I get. But for others, I am pretty particular.

Two of those I discovered in the past year or so. I had been buying another brand of these things forever, or at least since I've been an adult doing my own grocery shopping. I guess it's easy to fall into the shopping patterns of your family and use the same brands they used. To this I say -- branch out people! Forge your own path through the grocery store. Ok, it may not be exactly revolutionary behavior, but you might find some new favorites.

Complete Buttermilk Pancake & Waffle MixLet's talk pancake mix. I do not make my own pancake mix. Sure, I could, but why would I when there is Hungry Jack Buttermilk mix? I used to buy the other popular brand, but one day I was in a store and they were out of it. I bought Hungry Jack that time and have stuck with it ever since. You really can taste a difference and the Hungry Jack mix makes a lighter, fluffier pancake. Sometimes for dinner I make pancakes with cooked crumbled sausage and shredded cheese mixed into the batter. You don't need a recipe for this, Just add what you think looks like a good amount of each and be sure to use whatever cheese you like. We serve these with a fruit syrup. We use pancake mix to make cheeseburger pie and for a quick pot pie too.

My other good find was Comet rice. It takes longer than five minutes, but it is so worth it. You can spare 15-20 minutes to make this rice. It's a bit stickier than the minute rices, which I like. We also like to add extras to our rice to boost the flavor, such as lime zest and a bit of cilantro. When you are cooking rice longer than five minutes, it really gives the extra flavors a chance to take hold.

Besides getting me to write, one reason I do this blog is to keep myself from staying in a cooking rut. Hopefully I'll be able to add some new found favorite things along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment